Planning to build your custom home that matches your personal taste in architecture? First, you have to find a contractor you can rely on. Selecting between different residential contractors can be tricky at times, because every other company claims to be the best in business. Here are the 9 pro tips that you need.
1. Ask around. When you are looking for custom home builders, references always count. Talk to your friends, colleges and neighbors to know about the services that they have tried so far. Ask them about the experience and why they liked or disliked a service.
2. Check if the company is genuine. Do not be surprised to find that many of the contractors do not have any experience working with clients. They often offer the best discounts and sell the contracts to smaller subcontractors to make some easy money.
3. Make sure the company is licensed, insured and bonded. You need to check if the contractor has the required permissions to work in your city and area, and they must be insured, as well. These are basic aspects that people often ignore while comparing the options.
4. Are they open to your ideas? A good and reliable general contractor will take the time to understand the needs, expectations and requirements of their clients. They will also discuss the ideas that you may have in mind, and depending on the practical aspects, they may suggest the right things.
5. Will they offer an estimate? As a client, you should be extremely careful about your choice of contractor, especially with regards to the estimate that they provide. Check if their prices are genuine and in sync with the standards. Getting an estimate is also important because you can compare the options.
6. Specialization counts. Always work with a contractor who has worked on and managed projects similar to yours. Not all commercial contractors deal in residential projects, so ask them about their areas of expertise.
7. Check their previous projects. You can never rely on a service that does not have enough clients. Check the work they have done so far, so that you know the kind of experience they have with residential projects.
8. Ask for references. It is not enough to see a few pictures of their previous projects. You need to know the experience of their clients with regards to their services, and for that, nothing is more important than references. A company that has been doing business for more than five years will have enough clients.
9. Ask why you should hire them. As a client, you need to know why a company believes that they are better than others. Know about their highlights and ask them questions about their work. They should be able to convince you about their highlights and the kind of things they do.
Finally, take the time to set up a personal meeting. You may need two to three meetings before you can give a nod for the project.